Monday, February 9, 2009

And so it begins....

Hello all.

As you know by now, I'll be leaving shortly for the big island of Hawaii. I've decided that perhaps the best way to stay in touch with friends and family (or at least the best way for you to see what I'm up to) is through a blog. With a little practice and determination, I hope to post regularly here, using text, photos and videos, describing all of my adventures and mishaps, proudest and most embarrassing moments, and thoughts upon rambling thoughts, to be shared with all of you. Right here.

Please feel free to comment, as this will most likely be the easiest and most entertaining way to communicate while I'm away.

I know, I know.... some of you (well, two or three of you :) ) will be asking, "What about the board?" The board (<--- linky link for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about) will still be there. I have no plans to take it down. The board is more for large groups of people talking about a variety of subjects all at once. I thought about putting this on the board instead, but there would be thread after thread of stories and pictures, and I'd start being tempted to append new adventures on to older threads, and I think things would just get lost. Thus the blog. If topics do come up that require more conversation than we can handle here, then certainly we can carry them over to the board. Besides, I know some of you are a bit leery of the board (*coughcoughpaulandjencough*), and this medium might be easier to use, as you can just look and not speak up any more than you want to.

As I stated before, I intend to post regularly. I don't really know how regularly....I believe that depends in large part upon you, the viewers. If I get to the point where I feel like I'm just talking to myself, merely recording a diary or journal of my life, then I know I'll lose motivation, and eventually let the thing slide into oblivion. But if I have some input and reponse, I know I'll find the time to keep putting up pictures, music, and stories. Right now, I'm planning on a weekly update. That may become twice a week, or once every two weeks. But given the schedule I'm forseeing, I think one a week is a very attainable goal.

Besides, I'm going to miss all of you a lot, and this will be my main connection with you over thousands of miles of ocean and ±4 timezones. <---my attempt at guilting you all into responding once in a while :P So that's it! Welcome to the Cameronomicon!

****Afterword*****
So, in case you're wondering, I got the blog title from a great cult horror/comedy movie, Evil Dead 2, where they have the "Necronomicon", aka The Book of the Dead. So I thought "The Cameeronomicon" would be a cool title for the blog. Kind of a story of Cameron. According to Wikipedia though (and as we all know, the internet never lies), the name Necronomicon is taken from the Greek:

"nekros - νεκρός ("dead"), nomos - νόμος ("law"), eikon - εικών ("image").
A more prosaic translation can be derived by conjugating nemo ("to consider"): 'Concerning the dead'."

Given all of that, if you have issue with the name, too bad. I still think it fits well enough for my own tastes.

3 comments:

  1. When are you leaving for the big one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First week of March (God willing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well then you'll have to keep a spot open on the floor for me, I missed my first chance to go so I figure I'll have to make up for it sometime.

    ReplyDelete