Friday, March 11, 2011

Two Hours In

Hey everyone.  Things are still fine here in the yurt.  Dogs are sleeping, the rain is coming down now, and I've got the news streaming online.

It seems the surge in Hilo Bay has been measured at about five feet above normal sea level.  I'm trying to picture if that height will have any impact on my school.  I don't think so...but I suppose it's possible.  It's always difficult to judge elevation.

Either way, all reports are that the evacuation worked well, and that all things being said, the tsunami has been milder than expected.  The sea will continue to surge and recede throughout the day, but the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center is fairly confident that the moment of real concern has passed. Ultimately I won't know much though until the sun comes up in about an hour. 

Given that, now is the time to send thoughts and prayers for the people of Japan.

I'll update again when I have more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment