Thursday, April 16, 2009

Blog About Nothing 2 - The Wrath of Khan-stant Rain

Ha! I still crack myself up.

Anyway, it's Thursday, and we all know that's Blog Day. Ok.... it's not really, but I feel like it's been a little bit since the last one, so here I am again, working my fingers to the bone on this little laptop keyboard to put food and the table and a roof over your heads.....
Uh....sorry. Got a little carried away there.

So...events of the last week:

TAX DAY
Hooray! Tax Day! I know, you're all worn out, as it's only been one full day since April 15th. I, myself, got my taxes turned in early (5:00 is early, since the post office doesn't close until midnight on Tax Day). In the remaining 7 hours, I had nothing else to do, so I sat around thinking of ways to make Tax Day better for everyone. Rather than bore you (or induce repetition of "what is he, on crack or something?") with all of the details, let's just say it involves heavy drinking, flooding the streets with people on foot (old school style, with torches and pitchforks), all moving methodically towards the post office (think the end of "V for Vendetta") chanting and being drunkenly agitated (think European soccer game), and then as the masses arrive at the post office, we all place our tax forms quietly and politely in one of several bins set out just for this day outside the post office door.

I don't know about you, but I think it'd be fun. It sounds like Paul's kinda holiday. :)

Blog Comments
Speaking of Paul (if that is indeed is real name), I've got two things to say:

1. It's not that difficult to post as yourself, buddy. They've even got a way to do it without signing up for anything at all. Just a name and a fake web address. So I've got to assume that either you're testing the waters (blog waters, that is.....) Mmmmmmm blog water...... Where was I? Oh yeah. You're either testing the waters to see how we'll all react to your latent transgender desires (and we're all cool with that, we support you) OR you're blatantly disregarding all internet protocol and perpetrating IIF (which is either Illegal Icicle Fabrication or Internet Identity Fraud, and given that this is on the internet, and it's not that cold here, we'll assume it's the latter). Either way, given that you've been outed as a "Not-Jennifer-But-Posting-As-Jennifer-Anyway-er", I'm going to assume that your first instinct will be to never post again. That's a fair response. But think of all of the wisdom (see example below) and fun we'd all miss out on if you never posted again. So why don't you go ahead and post now, as yourself, and we'll all be generally proud of you and somewhat happy for you, and something about 77 virgins or something. We'll work out the details later.

Cool.

2. Yes, Paul, yurt life is cool. And it is fun to say. I'll probably be ostracized by my fellow "yurties" (that's what people who live in yurts call themselves) for letting you in on this secret, but...... we say "yurt" for everything!!! Yep..... we're just like the smurfs, except we're not blue and we're more than three apples tall. And we've got more than one female in our group (or so I've been told). And....well..... we're nothing like the smurfs at all, other than we say yurt all the time like they say smurf all the time. Like, for example: "Yurt me that yurt, you yurting yurter." Things like that. Or another yurtample would be: "Yurt it again, Yurt." or "Frankly, my yurt, I don't yurt a yurt." It can get a little confusing, and then a fight breaks out, and someone has to go stand in the corner (ha ha ha that's a yurt joke....).

Rumble in the Jungle!
We had another earthquake the other day. 5.0 on the Scale of Richter, as I'm taking to calling it, because it sounds more interesting, and less like it's about a hockey goalie. While the first quake we had while I was here was only slightly smaller on the scale, this one was completely different. The first one was just a quick thud, making me think that someone had backed a truck into the corner of the house or something. This one, though, was a rumbler. It felt like a tank was driving by right next to the house, shaking the ground. It lasted for just long enough for us to look at each other, for Skye to say "Earthquake!.....Get off of the deck! Get the dogs! I'm going to get Popo!" and then it was done. It was pretty interesting. The best part is that after it's over, you're waiting for it to happen again. And that feeling just sort of fades away, I'm assuming at about the same rate as the adrenaline coursing through your veins at that point.

Nothing was damaged, no one was hurt, and lunch was resumed within moments. Like Skye said though, afterwards, it's spooky but it's kinda cool to be reminded that the earth is alive here. It's changing and growing and you're part of it. That's the "romantic" version. The less romantic version is that we're living on a giant pimple on the face of the earth that may or may not pop at any time. :)

I've had requests for more pictures, but I think I'm going to put those off until next time.

I hope you all are doing well, and would like to tie up this post by bring it around full circle, back to the title, by saying, "Jim....." (that's what I'm calling you all collectively, now... as a group, to me, you're "Jim.")

"Jim.... Don't forget to take that slug out of Checkov's ear......."

"Oh, and don't forget your umbrella, because it's still raining like mad out there......"

"Jim....... you have been.....and always will be...... my friend(s)."

"Oh yeah.... and don't let them forget to do that Genesis project here, so I can be reborn, ok? Thanks."

:)

1 comment:

  1. This blog post was yurtastic! Thanks for the giggles -

    Yeah, earthquakes have personalities. When I was in California (circa 1992) there were two big earthquakes within three hours of each other. The first one was jerky - it was hard to get out of my bed at 5am when it commenced. My Papa and I ran to the front door and stood in the doorway. Yes, lots of adrenaline. Then at 8am, the second one came and that one was rolling. We stood in the front doorway again and watched as the ground undulated slowly, as if an underground dirt wave was lapping toward an unseen shore. So weird! The second one really scared me because it was vivid and slow. The tree roots in the courtyard looked as though they waved in the ground! I quickly moved back to Arizona for the remainder of the summer before coming to Colorado for college. My Papa still makes fun of me and my California Evacuation.

    Sit in the corner... that's funny!

    ReplyDelete