Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kealakekua

Sorry about that last post. I've been told it was WAY too long. So long, that most people were asleep before they could leave a comment. That wasn't exactly my intention....I just got carried away. So this time I'll be as brief as I can, and add more pictures instead. Besides, I've heard that today's ADD-multitasking-multimedia folks prefer the pretty colors anyway. :)

The last place that Matt and I visited, accompanied by the ever-entertaining and lovely Bosslady, was Kealakekua. Here's a link for you educationally oriented types.

It's a beautiful spot, and is often ranked in the top ten places in the world for snorkeling. On the north shore, there's a white obelisk that marks the spot where Captain Cook (no, not Captain Hook) first set foot on the island, and - strangely enough - where he was first killed (for the last time). What Kaleo explained to us, which was strangely omitted from the wikipedia entry, was that the Captain was kind of a jerk, taking advantage of the local people, so when they did fight back they not only killed him, but also ate him. Given this information, I found it disappointing that the folks who put up the monument in 1874 did not have the foresight or sense of humor to also include a working barbeque pit. Oh well.

We rented a kayak on the south shore, and crossed the nearly two miles of bay water (that's a paddlin') to reach the north shore, and there put the life jackets down and the masks and flippers on.

Matt, not having snorkeled before arriving in Hawaii, and only once here having had a crash course in water where he could stand up if anything should go wrong, braved the deep waters and coral reefs and did a great job, making all of us quite proud.

Anyway, here are some pics (including some of me, at the request of my mother)


Look! Fish!

Matt rocking it.

There's a trumpet fish in here somewhere......



This is what I look like when I'm diving (I know you've all always wondered about that)


Another fish of some sort (I need to find a used fish book)



Kaleo cruising.

Yet another unknown fish.
Matt is probably getting sunburned here.


Even more fish (and I left a lot of fish pictures out.....)

One last quick dive for me


Bosslady and myself



Matt and I are waiting for our clothes to dry out.


The view from the boat launch

An evening drive home

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a very nice day. I am a little jealous, but not much, going diving tomorrow.

    Your fish (in order)...

    Yellow Tangs
    Arceye Hawkfish
    Blacksided Hawkfish
    Racoon Butterflyfish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous and I was there!

    That rocked hard. Wish I was there.

    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a market for used fish in Hawai'i?

    Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Is there a market for used fish in Hawai'i?"

    Ha ha ha ha! Ok, that was witty.

    And the answer is yes. Because as everyone knows, once you drive a fish off of the lot it's loses 20% of it's resale value. And in this trying economic climate, most people opt for the "pre-owned" fish for all of their fish needs.

    ReplyDelete