Monday, August 31, 2009

Honoli'i

Hawai'ian Word of the Day, appropriately, is "Honoli'i" which (as I'm told) translates as "small (-li'i) bay (hono-)"  It's pronounced ho-no-lee-ee.  And no, it's not the place where Puff the Magic Dragon is from.

Given that we've had a lot to do around the farm, and when we weren't working on the farm it was raining, we hadn't been to the beach in what seemed like ages, but what was actually about 10 days (which is, of course, ages).  Sunday was such a nice day, though, that we couldn't pass it up.  So we packed up the boards and headed down to Honoli'i.  Kaleo also needed some photos and video for a school project she has to do, so I volunteered to take some photos for the first half an hour or so.


As you can see, even though the waves weren't that big, it was an incredibly beautiful day out on the ocean.

Here's another pic of the married couple:



Of course, there are perils to be considered in being a surf photographer.  I could get a cramp and drown.  I could be carried off by a flock of mermaids.  The Kraken itself could rise from the sea, sent by an angry Poseidon, hellbent on revenge for that time I peed in his ocean, and it could drag me down to the unseen depths of the great deep.  But  the most perilous [Sir Lancelot: "No, it's too perilous"] is that of being aimed for and run over by those subjects you are there to photograph in the first place.



Now, as a side note, I'm not traditionally superstitious.  But I've got this theory, let's call it, that when you see "honu" (ho-noo), a.k.a. sea turtles, when you're out in the ocean, it's going to be a good day.  And we saw a TON of honu that day.  Usually I'll see two or three in the couple of hours we're out, but on Sunday it was incredible.  There was one moment where I saw four at once!

Here's a photo I got of one of them:

4 comments:

  1. yes, mr kraken, Cameron has only pee'd once in your ocean. Just that one time.

    p.s. laughed out loud at that video. and sweet mary, those are lovely photos. I want to go to there. . . did I say that already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right.... *ahem* just that once.

    :) I'm glad you liked the video.
    And who is this "Sweet Mary"? Is she single? If so, you should give her my phone #.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I owned you on that wave! One more inch to the left and it would have been soft meals and Thomsons Teeth for Cameron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but if I had Thomsons Teeth, I wouldn't have to have soft meals. I could chew other teeth!

    ReplyDelete