Friday, May 14, 2010

Blog Forecast

"Weather" you like it or not *rimshot*

I'm really feeling like I need to post something.  The last thing I want is to relapse back into not posting at all, and a gap of more than a week is a good start for something like that to happen.  So here I am, blathering away like a homeless person talking to a doorknob (no offence to my many many homeless readers).


Unfortunately, I have nothing to say.

I've been thinking a lot about ideas, or stories, or anything at all to put up here.  I've got some good things brewing, I think, but due to time constraints, current technological setbacks, the keyboard gnome union on strike, etc., I can't post any of those tonight.



And I need to put something up.

Therefore, instead of presenting you with something fresh and new, I've decided that I'm going to present you with some things that are drifting along the horizon of the blog, and which I hope to have for you soon.

1) Kaleo and I Do a Podcast
This is my favorite idea, and since I know I've already lost half my readers due to the polarizing nature of gnome strikes, I decided to not "bury the lead", so to speak.  Although one could argue that since this is already way down in the post it's been buried plenty well enough.  Whatever.
And it wouldn't be so much of a podcast as it would be an audio blog.  At least at first.  If it was really good we might end up trying it more often and eventually make a real podcast out of it.
Anyway, I've been kicking this idea around and pitching it to Kaleo, because I think it'll be really interesting and entertaining.  Since Kalewa works evenings at the university library, there are many evenings where Kaleo and I talk over dinner.  For those of you who know her and know me, you can kinda picture it, I'm sure.  She talks quite a bit, and I occasionally interject a movingly profound "Uh-huh," and somehow all of the world's problems are resolved.  Of course, by "all" I mean "none" and by "world" I mean "spinach."

At any rate, I am fully aware that listening to that sort of thing would probably only be entertaining to a guy who lives in a glorified tent and who has perpetually muddy feet. But today while we were out on the water waiting for the next good wave, Kaleo had a great idea.  I won't tell you the exact idea, because that'll jinx it.  But I will tell you that it has to do with her current obsession with finding me a wife.

If the recording happens, it should be incredibly entertaining.

2) Cameron's Chess (and/or Scrabble) Rules
This started off when I was playing some chess online with my pal Dan Brown.  He's a million times better at chess than I am (which is the best way to learn) and so he was destroying me.  In the chat window adjacent to the game board, in the death throes of my king, I was providing a bit of internal commentary.  From this came the idea that certain guidelines must be remembered, outside of the official rules of the game.  In this case, the statement was "Cameron's Chess Rule #1: Pawns are jerks!"  It's a valuable lesson in all kinds of ways, and I figured if there's a Rule #1, then there should at least be a Rule #2.....right?  And then, since I've been playing a lot of Scrabble lately in Freakbook, I thought that maybe I could come up with something for that as well.  I don't know.  We'll see.

(side note commentary: I'm currently listening to Soundgarden's BadMotorFinger for the first time in years, and while I always remembered this album as being pretty darn good, I'd forgotten just exactly how pretty darn good it really is.....just what I needed tonight.)

3) Dagny and Her Swimming Hole
This is just a feel-good bit that's pretty self-explanatory, but it has a few nice photos that I don't have access to at the moment.

4) More Hawaiian Language Posts
Not many of you know, but I've accepted a job at a charter school here in Hilo doing their IT maintenance and such.  It seems like it'll be a great fit, both for them and for me.  Huzzah! *does typical 'huzzah' hand gesture*


Neither here nor there.

According to Kevin, the guy who had the job before me (who also happens to be the guy who got me the job), the folks at the school like to include a lot of Hawaiian culture and language into their lessons.  There are a lot of special events that are very culturally oriented.  It didn't take long for that to become evident.  When I was there this week to walk through the place and to meet with the head of the school, I was introduced as "kumu Cameron" to an 8th grade student.  Of course, I later had to ask what "kumu" meant exactly. I figured it meant "teacher" or something along those lines.  Kevin confirmed this, and told me that it also meant "trunk" like the trunk of a tree.  Later Kaleo told me that it also meant "source."  So here it is:

Hawaiian Word of the Day: kumu (koo-moo) - teacher, tree trunk, or source, depending on context.

HA HA!  Cheapest HWotD ever!

Just kidding, just kidding.  If you'd like to see just how versatile this word is, check this out.  Crazy, eh?  And while 1-4 make a lot of sense, didn't you get a total Lloyd Dobbler flashback from #5?  And #6 makes me feel like a Flock of Camerons.

And here's the part where you run (so far away)

Well, there you have it: a long post about other posts that may or may not make it to the blog.
With this kind of strategy, I should work for the government.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't offend any homeless people. But you did offend myself and the rest of the knobs.

    ReplyDelete